Friday 13 July 2012

twelve

hush, hush
little bird, hush
give me your rings, here.
place them down.
you can't keep them, not now.

see this sky

your bare feet in the earth

      I'll swallow you whole
              to flutter in my throat
              you'll scratch me bloody
              my liver is poison, galling

I snapped a twig in leaving
the youngest daughter,
she took fright

                                 the eldest I married
                                 golden leaves crowned her
                                 silver branches at her breast
                                 the diamond studded shoes
                                 soles worn through

and when I gave her your rings
   I could feel your feathers
   and my heart thu-thudded
                    against ribcage barred willful
  
her sons
engorged by the ground

you grow still, at last.

dusk is drawn, and you grow still.

No comments:

Post a Comment